I really love road trips, Ever read Jack Kerovac's "On The
Road" ? I used to do tours with the Grateful Dead, plus the epic
climbing trips around the world too. I scanned in some photos from
some of my various trips if you'd like to see what I do for fun.
- CAC Summer
- A long trip all the way across the country that took months...
- IMSAR Adirondacks
- This was a week and and half trip to the Adirondacks on Upstate
New York. It hit a high of -5F that whole trip, and we were
- IMSAR 1981
- Off to New England for ice climbing and winter mountaineering in
the Presidential range.
- IMSAR 1985
- We traveled through Europe climbing in England, France,
Switzerland, Austria, and what was then West Germany.
- IMSAR 1994 Winter
- A great trip of ice climbing and snowshoing near Ouray, CO.
- IMSAR 1996 Winter
- A great trip of ice climbing and snowshoing near Ouray, Telluride,
Blue Mesa, Caribou, and Nederland. (all in CO).
- 1998 Winter Trip to the
- A short, fast, but intense trip to the Northen Corries in the
Highlands of Scotland. I got to see what Scotish winter climbing is
- 1999 Summer Trip to the
- A short, fast, but intense trip to the Eastern Dolomites to climb
in the Stella Gruppa. I discovered in June, everthing is closed in the
- IMSAR 1999 Winter Trip
- This was 10 days of total fun climbing all across Colorado. Due to
avalanche danger and bad weather, this trip turned into a climbing
trip with *alot* of driving every night. We went to Ouray, Red
Mountain Pass, Camp Bird Rd, Silverton/Eureka, Cascade Canyon,
Telluride,Ames, Lake City, Wolf Creek, Rocky Mt. National Park, and
Roosevelt National Forest, Lincoln Falls, Vail, and Boulder!
- Various climbing trips in
- Here's another page with a collection of ice/rock/moutaineering
areas here in Colorado. This roughly covers places like Rocky Mountain
National Park, Indian Peaks Wilderness, and Rosevelt/Pike/Arapahoe
- Seneca Rocks
- This is one of my favorite climbing areas. I spent much time
living on Roy Gap Rd and climbing there in the 1970's and early
- On Tour with the Grateful
- Ah, I really loved the time I did tours with the Grateful
Dead. Those were some of the best times of my life. Here's a
collection of pictures from a variety of tours from 1978-1995.
- Rainbow Gatherings
- Of course I can't forget all the the great time I've spent at
Rainbow Gatherings over the years. This link goes to the graphics page
on the "Unofficial Rainbow Family" web site. Not all, but many of the
pictures are mine. These are a good sample of those times and
- Cody, Wyoming 2002
- A relaxing trip... 10 hours of quiet, low traffic driving trough
Wyoming, camping where we seldom saw anyone, and climbing when we were
the only ones in the South Fork Vally. To bad there wasn't much ice
- Ouray 2002
- This is a short trip I made to Ouray with my 15 year old son. (now
- Brazil 2008
- In the Spring of 2008, I went to Porto Alegra in southern Brazil
to speak at the FISL Open Source conferenece. These pictures are from
the trip I took to go trekking in some of the National Parks in remote
parts of the country.
- Spain 2008
- In the Fall of 2008, I went to Malanga, Spain to speak at Open
Source World. There was this amazing castle on the city from the 11th
century, plus additional ruins of a Roman theater. These are just the
fun pictures of the castle.
- Tasmania 2009
- In the winter of 2009, I went to Tasmania to speak at several
conferences, including Linux Conf AU. After the conference I took off
around with two people I met at the conference for a week of treking,
finally toppd by climbing the tallest mountain on the island, Cradle
- I travel heavily in Europe speaking at conferences like
FOSDEM, UDS, etc... These are just random photos from various
trips, Berlin, Prague, Brussels, Oslo, Munich, among others.
- Balkans 2010
- I did a speaking tour, including two keynotes at some FOSS
conferences in Albania, and Kosovo, with a road trip through Macedonia.
Along the way we did other talks at local universities about free
- South Fork 2011
- An ice climbing, back country sking, and winter camping trip
through the South Fork & Lake City area of Colorada.
- Canyonlands 2011
- An early spring rock climbing and camping trip to the
Canyonlands of Utah. Areas covered are Arches National Park,
Fisher Towers, and Indian Creek.
- Sangre De Cristo 2011
- A late summer trip to climb the classic Ellingwood Arete in Crestone
Needle a 14er. 30trs ago this week I broke my leg in 8 places and was told
I'd never climb again, so this trip was to commemorate that event in my