Re: the sad truth - "WOLF!"

Bill Stevens (wmstevens@earthlink.net)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:46:00 -0700

Mark Crispin wrote:

[snip]

> It is also quite correct that wolf/dog hybrids are much more dangerous
> than pure wolves, mostly because of their unpredictability and lack of
> fear of humans.

More likely because they are *created* and *domesticated* (or at least
it is attempted) by humans who don't know what they're doing.

> Which begs the question: what will prevent wolves that introduced into the
> Olympic Peninsula from breeding with local feral dogs?

A sense of dignity? <g> It's not out of the question, but wolves tend
to be more scrupulous than dogs in choosing mates. Mating is a highly
regulated activity in which the entire pack's social structure is
involved. Lone wolves might "resort" to breeding with dogs (feral or
otherwise), but it wouldn't be the preferred choice.

[snip]

I used to have a "pack" of three wolf hybrids (50% wolf / 50%
malamute). During that time, my daughter had a baby, and it spent its
first year of life in the houshold with the pack. While we were careful
to never leave the baby unsupervised, there was never an instance where
we observed any behavior on the part of the "pack" which led us to
believe they would have harmed the baby. In essence, we were all part
of the pack - including the baby.

I realize that there have been a more-than-trivial number of incidents
of wolf-hybrid attacks. But the same can be said for pit bulls, etc.
The problem with just counting such incidents is that it says nothing
about the circumstances. I have seen a little kid beating his dog with
a branch - the dog taking it with downcast eyes. Now if this dog turned
and defended itself, it would be an "incident," no?

All animals, wild or domesticated, may resort to killing any other
animals (humans included) if starved or otherwise desparate. But to
attempt to characterize wolves as "bloodthirsty" or just dangerous, out
of context, is a miscarriage of reasoning and patently unfair to the
species.

If you wish to really understand the wolf, rather than just "categorize"
it, may I suggest a visit to Wolf Haven, in Tenino WA. It's about a
half-hour from Olympia, and well worth the drive. They operate a
sanctuary for purebred wolves who for whatever reason have been held in
human captivity, but are no longer "at home" there. Many of them are
the result of well-meaning, but uninformed, humans thinking they would
make great "watchdogs" (i.e. exactly how I came to have a pack)...

Bill Stevens
Redmond, WA

Back to the Top Level: