Re: the sad truth - "WOLF!"

Karin Zirk (kzirk@earthlink.net)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:25:22 -0700

At the wolf center in Ely, Minnesota (the premier wolf research center in
USA) they state that no "WILD PUREBRED WOLF" has ever killed a human being in
the United States. There have been documented cases of wolves that were
raised as pets and then reintroduced into the wild attacking human beings.
There are also incidents of wolf/dog hybrids attacking humans.

At the center they have a fascinating display showing how hunting/gathering
cultures tend to look up to the wolf and consider wolves as a positive symbol
of their clan. While farming cultures tend to demonize wolves.

Anyone who passes thru northern Minnesota should definitely check this place
out.

Love,

Karin

PS. Bring back the wolves to all their native habitats!!! A forest without
wolves is like a gathering without a circle.

Netherlass wrote:

> rickeeee@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > The following is an excerpt from an article in the October 9th SUN:
> >
> > The people who want to reintroduce [wolves] to the Olympics are
> > largely urbanites. They represent the majority, wealthy cityfolk who
> > venture to the Olympia Peninsula for recreation. They understand
> > politics and power and they know how to get things done.
> >
> > They don't particularly care what the locals think; or if they do,
> > ignore them in the name of what they believe is a greater good.
> >
> > The closer you get to Olympic National Park, the louder the
> > opposition to reintroduction.
> >
> > That's been the case in most of the other areas where wolves have
> > been reintroduced...[In Yellowstone a] survey found that 91 percent
> > [of locals] were against reintroduction. By contrast, 82 percent of the
> > visitors to Yellowstone favored bringing wolves back there.
> >
> > [Pete Story, Yellowstone homesteader whose family has lived there
> > since the 1860s] says that environmentalists...will support wolf
> > reintroductions in the Olympics ``until a wolf eats one of their kids.
> > A wolf is a predator, a dangerous carnivore. To think that wolves will
> > leave people alone is stupid and naive.''
> >
> > The people who would keep wolves from the Olympics may understand
> > politics and power, but they don't have the numbers or the money to
> > win the game. And they live where they do because they abhor both the
> > game
> > and its players.
>
> I spend a lot of my time in the woods of Washington State. I have
> 2 grandkids. I remember mostly old European tales of blood thirsty
> wolves attacking and eating people/kids. Anyone know if wolves
> continue doing that? I have never seen any wolves, yet, but I can
> appreciate them as another God created/therefore-blessed creature.
> I have 3 dogs, maybe that's why I don't see them. I thought that
> they were shy to humans and steered more clear away than coyotes.
>
> --
> Netherlass .-~~. _ .~~-.
>
> Email Address mailto:rcantre@cris.com
> Web Page: http://www.concentric.net/~rcantre