Re: the sad truth - "WOLF!"

Mark Crispin (mrc@Panda.COM)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:04:57 -0700

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, T, Patrick Culp wrote:
> Netherlass wrote:
> > I remember mostly old European tales of blood thirsty
> > wolves attacking and eating people/kids. Anyone know if wolves
> > continue doing that?
> I have always heard that there has *NEVER* been a documented case of a
> wolf attack on any human.. This does not hold true for pets and
> livestock however.

This isn't quite accurate. The correct statement is "There are no
documented cases of a wolf attack on any humans in North America in the
past several decades."

There are at least two reasons why this is the case:
1) Modern firearms technology has made humans much too dangerous as
prey. Most people who live in wolf territory as well-armed.
2) Most critters, including wolves, think that humans smell bad and
taste worse. Only a very few critters (e.g. polar bears) actually
enjoy the taste of human. Most man-eating animals are aged or
injured and are unable to get anything else.

When wolves have attacked humans, it has usually been of a small child.
A loan wolf wouldn't even think of going against an adult human.

Wolves will attack dogs. If you're walking with Fido in wolf habitat, you
may be at greater risk if the wolf isn't aware that you're there.

The biggest danger from wolves is to livestock, pets, and children. It's
about equivalent to the danger posed by cougars.

-- Mark --

Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address.

Back to the Top Level: