Re: A NASA-insider's announcement of Cassini launch

Varactacap (varactacap@aol.com)
23 Oct 1997 05:27:00 GMT

There's enough matter in interstellar space to power a starship to more than
1.0c. Once moving fast enough, the handful of atoms that can be found in
space would become a wind of extremely hot plasma. Scoop up and then collapse
the interstellar atoms by forcing the combination of their electrons and
positrons, accelerate the resulting neutrons to near 1.0c using the energy of
the ahnialated electrons and positrons, and you can theoritically exceed 1.0c.
What happens then, nobody knows. I imagine it's not unlike the sound
barrier.

Peace!

\Aaron

Andy Robert Steinberg wrote:
>Ho! I'm also a space buff. To travel to the planets and the stars will
>require
>great energy among other things like fine astronauts and radiation shielding.
>Nuclear power as used in Voyager and Cassini is very safe, especially when
>compared
>to a theoretical starship design called Orion, which could reach 0.3c by
>jettisoning
>nuclear bombs a distance behind itself and riding the shock waves. This would
>leave
>long trails of highly radioactive material everywhere Orion goes, in essence
>causing
>massive pollution of outer space. The Orion Project long ago was scrapped,
>and rightly
>so. Fusion and anti-matter are the next logical steps for spaceship power,
>the Buzzard
>Ramjet still has too many problems to solve in the near future. I believe
>that the
>latest research into particle physics has allowed antiprotons to be stored
>safely for
>12 hours before they decay. Far-off energy sources may be derived from small
>black
>holes, or from converting matter directly into energy.
>
>andy

Back to the Top Level: