Re: A NASA-insider's announcement of Cassini launch

Andy Robert Steinberg (dracula@thecia.net)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:45:36 -0400

Glenn Battin wrote:

> Andy Robert Steinberg wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > But there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred
> > years or a thousand years or a million years eventually our Sun will grow cold and go >out.
> <SNIP>
> > Unless we go to the Stars."
> >

> Perhaps that is what Spirit is showing us .... when we believe that life
> as
> we know it will cease w/o the sun.

Life as we know it WILL end when our Sun goes out, and probably a long time before then.

> Can you imagine the terror of those
> that
> refuse to see SPIRIT/LOVE ... facing the sun going out w/no hope to go
> someplace else (not everybody would get to go) and no hope for eternity.

Terror? I've known religious people who are always afraid of a veangeful God, and Atheists
who take comfort in their belief that there is no hereafter. I doubt that the human race
will still be around in 5 billion years. How do you know that not everybody would get to go?
Either with giant advanced starships, a mentally evolved astrally-projecting humanity,
or recharging the Sun's hydrogen fuel, there is hope.

> Or when the future people will ALL see
> Spirit and cannot do anything else but trust in Spirits LOVE and eternal
> plan for them.

Trust blindly in something you've never seen, like the short-term attitude of those who overfish the oceans
and cut down the forests, or try to do something constructive about it, like those protesters and
astronauts who bravely risk their lives to stand up for what they feel is right. "God helps those
who help themselves."

> IMHO "going to the stars" is foolish pride @ its ultimate folly and

Riiiight. Like it was hubris to belive the Earth was spherical, that humans would never fly (41
test pilots died trying to break the sound barrier), that trains would never go more than 25mph,
that we shouldn't go into Space since we need air to breathe, that AIDS is God's will. Give me a break!

> costs folks
> quality of life here & now....as Larry Norman said "You say we beat the
> Russians
> to the moon and I say that you starved your children to do it."
> Glenn

Destroying the Space program will not put food in childrens' mouths. You are oversimplfying the
problem. There is more than enough water, food, and energy on Earth for all of us, but because
of human politics and greed it is not being evenly distributed.

> > Commander Jeffrey Sinclaire, Space Station Babylon 5, "Infection"
> >
> > Glenn Battin wrote:
> > >
> > > Varactacap wrote:
> > > SNIP
> > >
> > > BE HERE
> > > BE HERE NOW
> > > Make your own planet a better place to live.
> > > We (you too) will never leave this planet except on a spiritual plane.
> > > Do you really think NASA will find a better place (another habitable planet)
> > > and prepare spaceships for everyone who WANTS to go & Spend OUR $$$$
> > > to take you & THE others there.
> > >
> > > Wise up. BE HERE NOW! NASA should spend $$$$ developing inner-space
> > > ie: the oceans.
> > >
> > > Care for your planet....renewable-resources, no/minimal-pollution,
> > > human peaceful co-existence, education, human rights, healthcare .....
> > >
> > > What a concept!
> > > Be HERE now.
> > > Glenn
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Reckless words pierce like a sword,
> > > But the tongue of the wise brings healing."
> > > - Proverbs 12: 18

Back to the Top Level: