Re: Magic Hat

Karin Zirk (kzirk@earthlink.net)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:08:41 -0700

I agree with Heather that education is the answer. A lot of the problem is
that we, as a family, go around advertising the fact that we feed 10,000
people on $1 per person.

I hear this statement widely repeated. The reality is that most of the cost
of putting on the gathering does NOT come out of the Magic Hat. Most of the
food is purchased by individuals and donated to the family. Most of the
supplies are purchased by individuals and given to the family.

In Oregon this year, we had minor kitchens who spent $2,000 of money out of
their own pocket to feed people. I'm talking kitchen's that are politically
incorrect and don't even feed that many people.

We need to make sure that everyone understands the true cost of feeding
ourselves.

The issue of food is important. If we are gathering and trying to educate
ourselves either spiritually, politically, socially, musically or ????, our
bodies need fuel so that we can devote our minds to the growth process.

Some ideas that might help solve the problem:

First off, when we tell people how much it costs to put on the gathering, we
need to take into consideration the sum total of what individuals buy and
donate to the gathering, plus the money that goes into the Magic Hat. My
guess is that it would run more into the line of $25 per person but I'm sure
there's folks out there who could come up with a better number.

Second, as those of you who know me personally know, I dislike this multiple
kitchens scattered all over the gathering business. I want to wake up in the
morning and do something constructive (like yoga, dig a shitter, go to a
council, or work at INFO) -- I don't want to spend 3 hours wandering over a
gathering site, trying to find a kitchen that is feeding and then stand in
line for one hour for food. Personally, I can't function when I'm hungry and
neither can many other folks. SO I end up bringing my own food simply to
insure survival. If all the kitchen's were located in one area, say a
kitchen corral, then hungry people could go to one place and get feed. Once
they were fed, they could do some of the physical activites we need done for
the gathering to stay healthy, they could go to a council and have focus.
Hungry people can't focus. Or perhaps they could attend a workshop and learn
something - Hungry people can't learn!

Point of Information - in the early days of the gathering, I have been told
that there was one central kitchen. Some people I have spoken with who have
been going to the gatherings since day one feel there was more unity back
then.

And one last thing, Heather worked her butt off focalizing supply at the
Oregon Gathering this summer. Supply is a monumental task. There should
have been a minimum of 6 people working on this day in and day out. Thank
you Heather. I love you!!!! You did an awesome job.

Love ya all,

Karin

Heather Reese wrote:

> i'm not sure about the exact figures collected in the hat per day at
> oregon, but i do know that it was scandalously little.

Back to the Top Level: