[Fwd: Oct 18 Global Week / Action Against McDonald's (fwd)]

Aron Kay (pieman@queenbee.net)
Thu, 09 Oct 1997 22:41:48 -0400

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: x344150 <sffnb@iww.org>
To: sffnb@iww.org
Subject: Oct 18 Global Week / Action Against McDonald's (fwd)
Sender: owner-fnb-l@tao.ca

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 16:14:09 -0700
From: Wallace_Norma@bns.attmail.com
To: internet!vegan.com!alka@bns.attmail.com,
Cc: internet!yerbabuenaarts.org!paguirre@bns.attmail.com,
internet!aol.com!vegicook@bns.attmail.com,
internet!msn.com!randalleo@bns.attmail.com,
internet!juno.com!winnie_seto@bns.attmail.com,
internet!sonic.net!healthy@bns.attmail.com,
internet!igc.org!animalsnet@bns.attmail.com,
internet!rightfoods.com!drmcdougall@bns.attmail.com,
internet!alza.com!bill.yard@bns.attmail.com
Subject: Oct 18 Global Week / Action Against McDonald's

[Let me know if you prefer to be blind copied on these types of e-mail
in the future to protect your privacy...nj]

Alka, great! I'm forwarding your ideas to some of the people you
alluded to (ARC contacts and likely coalition members such as PCRM,
Fund for Animals, EarthSave, Food Not Bombs, etc) as well as activists
and contacts who may be able to distribute flyers, AND to out of area
people who may want to use your ideas in their cities. We'll forward a
separate alert to SFVS members w/details of the 10/18 action.NJ

Friends and fellow activists
Please review the below recommendations re a local action in the Haight
on Sat, Oct 18. As with previous coalition efforts (Howard Lyman talks
this past April), please Sieze the Moment as best you can. Questions to
Bob Jeruchim (bjeruchim@genie.com). Thanks!
Norma Jean

Saurabh,
Is there a VUNA contact (Judi still doing newsletter) that we could
forward 'results' to? NJ
----------
From: alka
To: Lucy.D..Martineau; Lynn; eatplants; howarddy2; b.jeruchim;
Wallace.Norma; bbs; dianamar; dove; animals; lfleming; wevegan; msimon;
Mike.Rogala; orb; forpeta; cmccall; cgardner; vijay.prasad; LHvegan;
kvkarightattam
Subject: Global Week of Action Against McDonald's: October 11th-18th
Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 10:56AM

Dear Friends/Colleagues:
Greetings from Berkeley! Bob Jeruchim recently pointed out that it would
be a good idea to have an activity in the Bay Area marking World
Anti-McDonald's Day, which is October 18th. I agree with Bob, and feel
that it is a *stellar* idea. A memo from the McLibel Campaign informs us
that the entire week from October 11th to the 18th is the Global Week of
Action Against McDonald's. So, after pondering the point over fries and
salad at Smart Alec's this past Tuesday, the assembled East Bay dinner
group agreed that we should coordinate:

A PROTEST ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 18TH, BEGINNING AT NOON AT THE MCDONALD'S
"RESTAURANT" AT 730 STANYON STREET (CROSS STREET IS HAIGHT STREET).

Location & Flyering
The location should be excellent for a Saturday, being on the perimeter of
Golden Gate Park and at the top of the Haight-Ashbury area. I'll be
constructing flyers later today, and will be mailing them to Bob. If you
would like to help with flyering, please get in touch with Bob. I'd like
to mail flyers to representatives of all of the large areas represented on
this group. Unfortunately, I'm leaving at 2 pm today to attend a family
function in Austin, and I won't be back until Monday ... perhaps this is
something that you could coordinate, Bob? :-) Let me suggest that if you'd
like to help with flyering in your area of the Bay Area, please indicate to
Bob (bjeruchim@genie.com) how many flyers you would like, and he'll send
them out to you.

Brochures
---------

I have brochures that I'd constructed two years ago on the McLibel trial.
Clearly, these are dated, but many of the more revealing moments of the
trial are captured in the brochure. I'll photocopy these. Does anyone
here have the original "What's Wrong with McDonald's?" pamphlet?

Spreading the Word
------------------

I'll be preparing media releases, which won't have to go out until Tuesday
or Wednesday. I'll send the psa's out today to the major media outlets,
but if you have connections with media in your area, please let them know
about the protest, and encourage them to run a psa and/or cover the event.

The McLibel Trial has been covered extensively, not only in animal rights
and veggie publications, but also in a wide array of progressive journals
like Z magazine, and in mainstream publications like the Wall Street
Journal and the Globe & Mail. Let's encourage *everyone* we know to attend
this protest. If we can get the free speech folks, the anti-coorporation
folks, the environmental folks, the labor folks, the healthy eating folks,
and our own ranks out to the protest, we'll be recognized as a group that
is capable of constructing bridges with others, and working with others.
This could be provide a tremendous boost in how we're perceived by the
media, and it could begin the process of being placed on the political map.

Making it Fun
-------------

Mike Rogala recently pointed out that one of the reasons that Earth First!
demonstrations are so well attended is because they're *fun*! A McLibel
protest provides all kinds of opportunities for making this happen. Some
of us can dress up in clown outfits (doesn't Vegan Action have a Reggie
McVeggie costume, Ori?), others can wear their McVegan T-shirts. We need
musically talented people who can lead the troupes in new renditions of old
protest songs (is Pat of Animal Rights Connection on email?). Does anyone
know any other musicians? Judy Jones, could you ask Chris Wilder if he'd
be interested in doing an acoustic version of the song that he wrote about
meat-eating? (Thanks)

Siezing the Opportunity
-----------------------

This protest is only nine days away, but with a little effort from each of
us, we can really make this happen. We can capitalize on the fact that the
event is an international event, that cities around the world hold events
to mark this day. We can emphasize the many concerns that are addressed by
anti-McDonald's activities, pointing out how the vegan choice fits in so
well with each of these concerns.

If I've left out any critical points (which I'm sure to have done), please
point them out on this list. Hope to see all of you on the 16th at noon,
outside the McDonald's at 730 Stanyon.

Best regards,
alka chandna

Important P.S.: Please forward this email to others. In particular, I
don't have the emails of the Stanford Vegan Action folks.

Check out the vegan.com website at http://www.vegan.com/

-Food Not Bombs List fnb-l@tao.ca
-distributing food in opposition to violence
-archive: http://www.tao.ca/~fnbtor/fnb-l/
-active cities: http://webcom.com/peace
-send '(un)subscribe fnb-l' to majordomo@tao.ca

Back to the Top Level: