Copyright 1982. You may copy this file in its entirety, without alteration of the text, and make a copy on a computer printer for your own personal use, but obtain permission from Swami Paramananda <email@example.com> before any other use.
In these simple rhymes, Swami Govindanand's deep experience and wisdom find their manifestation. Wandering through this transient world of "ups and downs and kings and clowns", he meets with corruption as in "Baba B lack Sheep" and rejection as in "He's CIA" but also sees "pure love" and "spirituality". His "TOTAL SACRIFICE" has brought him to a poverty whose profundity g enerates a fantasy about having enough money to buy "half a giraffe". From the insanity of a universe in which "Jonathan Jones had twenty-six phones" arises an ecstasy of absurdity, shown in "d ance ants". He writes poems extolling service, devotion and meditation, and proceeds to express the unity of the different paths to God in "just the same". While he praises Krishna, Shiva and many forms of God, and also worships G od as formless, again and again he returns to Ram. Ram is his chosen form of God and to "REMEMBER RAM" at all times is to be one with God.
To convey his innermost thoughts in verse, Swami Govindanand freely uses both colloquial Hindi and pure Sanskrit words. Translations of these have been provided and when spellings reflect colloquial pronunciation, the customary spelling is given in addition to the translation.
May these poems bring you closer to Ram, to inner truth and to God in all His Manifestations.
Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram.
Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram.
All Glory to Ram
All Glory to Ram
If you're stuck in a rut and can't get out, and your mind is worried and full of doubt, then SHOUT Do shout the Name of Ram.
* * *From womb to tomb is too much gloom. Is man born to mourn? That's not his lot the saints have taught. You need not be forlorn. Sing the Name of God.
* * *One day ends. Another will dawn. A new life begins when the old is gone. Change is the story of life.
* * *
* * *To learn to adjust is a must. Don't be so set in your ways. Simply learn to make a new turn. Stubbornness never pays.
* * *Don't take a trip on Ego's ship or you'll quickly sink for sure. But stay afloat upon the boat of a heart that's clean and pure.
* * *Beware of Lady Power. She'll treat you like a mother then stab you in the back and leave you for another.
* * *A Ph.D. in amity is the best degree by far, for there's sure success with friendliness anywhere you are. Be a friend to all.
* * *I've been on ocean liners. I've flown high in planes. I've driven speeding cars along the highway lanes. I've been up in helicopters. I've been down in deep gold mines. I've smoked the best cigars and drunk the best of wines. I've danced with lovely ladies. I've eaten like a king. I've been the whole world over and done most everything. I've read the ancient classics. I've seen the greatest art. But one thing yet I haven't developed any heart. Only Love's important.
* * *Deep in your heart is the very best thing, an endless, unlimited pure-flowing spring of Love. Go deep and drink of these waters.
* * *Love itself only grows when you're kind to your friends and more kind to your foes.
* * *
* * *If you follow directions you'll make the connections to catch the boat to God.
* * *Let God Guide and you just ride rowing whenever He wishes.
* * *Man plans but God cans man's plans.
* * *God's plan for man is much greater than man's plan for God.
* * *Straight's the gate and narrow's the way that leads to God so always pray for guidance.
* * *Each man has a duty unto him assigned by the Lord of all creation so with all your heart and mind please just do that duty.
* * *Jack be humble. Jack be still. Jack please surrender to Krishna's will. That's a good buy, Jack.
* * *A hundred million dollars and many pounds and pence all added up inside my mind just don't make any sense when you've sold your soul to get them.
* * *Your prayer should be as long as you live God please help me to learn to give.
* * *at sixty-four, you'll give much more than you do at twenty-two. But at twenty-two, please learn to do what you'll do at sixty-four. Give more and More and MORE !
* * *Money's name is Laxmi. [Laxmi = Laxmi serves the Lord. the Goddess of Wealth] You should follow Laxmi's lead and give up what you stored.
* * *God is infinite. He can give anything if you can just give something. Begin to give to God.
* * *The more and more you give away the richer you will be. So give and give and give away and get Infinity.
* * *To Give is to Live To some give Wealth to some give alms to some respect to some pranams. pranams = obeisances To some give dinner to some give rice to some give lessons to some advice. To some give shelter to some give land to others give a helping hand. To some give direction to some be a guide to some who need a lift or ride. To some give wisdom to some what you know to some a push to help them go. To some kind words a pat on the back to others guidance along the track. To some give service to some a chance to be himself and thus advance. To some give praise to some clothes to wear to some protection and loving care. But to all give love and to all give light for always to give is always right. Give yourself away.
* * *The more and more you sacrifice the greater you will feel for keeping is illusion but sacrificing's real. Sacrifice yourself.
* * *The weirdest thing that I've seen yet, "The more you renounce the more you get."
* * *The saints will sing, "Renounce everything, everything but Love."
* * *Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to see what was inside When she got there she found a pear and give it to the poor man outside Good going, Mother Hubbard.
* * *Always be sure to help the poor.
* * *The richer they are the harder they fall. So it's better to give completely your all to God.
* * *TOTAL SACRIFICE
will give its reward
will get you the Lord
* * *I know an old troll a very good soul who lived in a hole up near the North Pole contemplating the nature of being. With mind under control he'd sit in his hole fixed firm and actually seeing the essence of existence and being. My pranams to that troll in the hole. [pranams = admiration, Please seek out that troll obeisances] or your very own soul. Either will show you the essence of being.
* * *There's the path of peace and the path of noise and both of them are filled with joys. So meditate or sing loudly His name for both of them are just the same. Don't criticize the other.
* * ** * * If God's a fraud why are there mangoes ?
* * *A very good man from Rajasthan left this world last night and took a trip upon a ship composed of shining light. He passed Jupiter and Saturn travelling on and on, remembering the goal of his travelling soul was to get to Bhagavan. [Bhagavan = God] He made it.
* * *The final flight you fly alone. You've got to fly it solo To guarantee you're landing safely Hari ka nama bolo. [Hari ka nama bolo = Sing the name of God]
* * *Make your last flight right.
* * *Wherever your mind is at the moment of death, to that you do attain. Keep it fixed on Krishna and you'll never return again to any world of pain. Only the world of Sri Krishna is eternally free of troubles.
* * *By Jove, by Jupiter, nobody is stupider than I, for I've taken birth on the planet Earth when I should have gone to the spiritual sky. What a dummy am I.
* * *Spirit is the truth a black-skinned handsome youth Who wears a yellow robe and enchants the entire globe with the sweet sound of his flute. Let us know the Spirit that is Krishna.
* * *Krishna says to Arjuna in the Gita so I read, The wise man never grieves for the living or the dead. For the soul it knows no birth and the soul it never dies. It's immutable, eternal, so Arjuna, please be wise and act for Me alone.
* * *Mrs. Murphy's burfy [burfy = barphi = a sweet] was made in purity, offered unto Krishna and then taken after He. Long live Mrs. Murphy !
* * *This is a lesson the Gita has taught, "Krishna protects what you have and brings what you have not if you're fully devoted to He." Have faith, have faith, have faith in Hari. [Hari = God Bhagavad Gita IX-22
* * *Everything done by everyone must be done for the glory of God.
* * *He's beyond the reach of mind and speech but call him anyhow Om Namah Shivaya. [Om Namah Shivaya = Hail to Lord Shiva]
* * *My pure love is nothing. My mother's love sure is. But can you know Lord Shiva's LOVE the pure pure LOVE that's His?
* * *I see, I see amazing things. Ladies, Lords and Knights and Kings all bowing down to Ram. Oh what a lovely thing to see !
* * *It is no myth, Mr. Smith, I tell you it is true. With zest and zeal, RAM is REAL and very much loves you.
* * *Are you sleeping Are you sleeping Brother John Brother John Don't spend your whole life sleeping Don't spend your whole life sleeping REMEMBER RAM REMEMBER RAM
* * *The attitude should be beatitude for me, for me and all my fellow souls. Now that's the attitude.
* * *Little Miss Krodh [Krodh = anger] sat on the road eating her anger pie. lost in a will she couldn't fulfill prosperity passed her by.
* * *Jack and Jill went up the hill to offer God some water, just the way the aughta, Jai Jai Jack and Jill. [Jai Jai = hurrah for
* * *Little Jack Horner sat in the corner thinking on matters high, seeing loss in gain and gain in pain can anyone tell him why ?
* * *I am a Siddh from Saskatoon [Siddh = I've recently been to visit the moon siddha yogi and now I'll grant you any boon one with great yogic power] and now I'll grant you any boon if you just REMEMBER RAM. Please REMEMBER RAM.
* * *The proper petrol for propelling the soul is grade A concentrated mind control Keep the mind fixed on God.
* * *If you want to live without strife or complaints then follow the path that's been walked by all saints. The saints have gone to a mighty good place, I tell you.
* * *Love thy Lord. Love thy neighbour. Love thy Self. Love thy labour. Righteous work is worship.
* * *Hickory Dickory Duck tried to drive a truck. He backed it up and it got stuck. Hickory Dickory Duck. Don't try to do work meant for others.
* * *Keep your feet on the ground your head in the sky your hands at work and your spirits high.
* * *There was a tall candle, I tell you it's true, who had so many gurus he didn't know what to do. He flickered and wickered and wavered and finally just went out. Serve one master fully.
* * *One Guru One God One Path and PRASAD [prasad = consecrated food] is all you really need.
* * *Oneness is won in oneness. Stick firmly to the path that's yours.
* * *There once was a man from Havana who liked to smoke marijuana. He'd go up but come down and wake up with a frown. Remember: Marijuana won't give you nirvana.
* * *I knew an old drunk who stunk like a skunk so I locked him up in a trunk. That made him think. No more did he drink. But I couldn't use that trunk again.
* * *
PUT IT OUT
* * *To my eye a big lie the world. May God reveal the truth.
* * *If I ever sin again may God pluck out my I.
* * *The thought of I must die.
* * *Keep the mind still or never there will be a chance for God to sit down.
* * *There's more to God than meets the I.
* * *They don't know how to fold their hands. They don't know how to say, "Welcome, Swami to my desh" [desh = country] They can only think, "He's CIA". What nonsense is in your mind !
* * *When a King comes from a different land, He must be given a Royal welcome.
* * *Many Brahmans I see [Brahmans = priests] don;t know Hari [Hari = God] They only know how to count coins.
* * *Today the saddhus [saddhus = holy men] we see are fat and wide, but they aren't very deep.
* * *Baba Black Sheep, [Baba = Father, holy man] Have you any gyan ? [gyan = jnana = knowledge] No sir, no sir, it all has gone. I got some from my master and I gave it to my shish [shish = sisya = disciple] and I lost the rest when I ate some fish. That's why I'm Baba Black Sheep.
* * *We see many today in holy dress but find few today with holiness. Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame.
* * *To say Ram Ram and not think Ram Ram is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong, So say Ram Ram and think Ram Ram and join me in my song. Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram
* * *The student seeks. The teacher speaks. Knowledge casts His grace. Investigate and meditate and meet Him face to face. Knowledge is a lovely fellow.
* * *Don't waste your life. Don't be caught. Don't be idle. Think on thought.
* * *Pease porridge hot. Pease porridge cold. Please please God. Truth will unfold.
* * *Peter Piper picked pickled peppers. The cow jumped over the moon. Jack and Jill went up the hill. but they'll be back quite soon. Mary O'Grady was a very old lady. The horse ate up the ghee. Jonathan Jones had twenty-six phones. Everyone wants to be free.
* * *If all the ants in France happened just by chance to dance and dance and dance before the King of France, there certainly would be much glee in gay Paree, so dance ants dance ants dance.
* * *The world is too much with up. Please leave it far behind, and tread the inner path to the pure and spotless mind. For the pure and spotless mind is your eternal home, where you can rest forever in the loving arms of OM.
* * *Stop the clock. Ban the Bomb. Milk the cow. REMEMBER RAM.
* * *
can be so glorious