Climbing and Camping Gear
This page is a collection of links to my favorite gear companies. I
only list companies whose gear I own and use.
- Mountain Gear
- Climbing and camping equipment. I mostly just like their
sales... cause their customer support is terrible.
- Petzel makes alot of gear. I mostly like their headlamps, although
I do have a Petzel "Zephyer" for climbing the Via Ferrata that's
kindof cool too.
- La Sportiva
- I really like Sportiva boots. I have both their rock shoes, as
well as their mountain boots. These are built on a european last, and
I've found their boots have outlasted all other brands I've tried.
(except a 20 year olf pair of Fabiano's I have)
- Marmot is my favorite company for goretex and sleeping bags. For
several years I shared an office with some Marmot reps, and got a
chance to play with their samples, which impressed the hell out of
me. Needless to say, I have a ton of goretex clothing and sleeping
bags from them.
- Recreation Equipment Inc. is one of the oldest suppliers of
climbing and camping gear. I bought my first ice axe from them for
$35 many years ago...
- Eastern Mountain Sports is another long time supplier of climbing
and camping gear. I've bought alot of equipment from them over the
- Campmor has the best prices I've seen, and carries alot of name
and noname brands of gear. A great place for the cost concious.
- Climb High
- Climb High has always been a supplier of what I think of as hard
to find gear. These days they're more like everyone else, but they
still have my support when I need things.
- The best ski poles. I use ski poles for alot of uses other than
sking, and the Leki's have withstood it all.
- Charlet Moser
- Charlet Moser makes very fine ice axes and crampons. Their Quaser
axes are my favorite ice tools. Now I'm drooling over a pair of
- Black Diamond
- Black Diamond (used to be Chounard) makes very fine ice axes, and
the best ice screws I've ever used. I have probably more Black Diamond
gear on my rack than any other brand. Superb quality.