Forest Service Report: 1997 Oregon Rainbow Gathering
This is the Official report filed by the Forest Service after the
Gathering is over. These reports give us some insight into how the
Forest Service views us in their own eyes. More interestingly, we see
that despite the retoric and negative PR put out by the Forest
Service, in actuallity, they do see that we keep our commitement as
indiviguals to keep everyone healthy and safe, and that the cleanup
does go well.
- The introduction of the report by the Incident Commander. This is
interesting, because right off he says there is a problem with how the
Law Enforcement people treat the Rainbows, and that this should really
be handled as a recreation use. He further recommnds to cut all LEO
staff by 30%, and to stop "harrassing" us for a bogus permit.
- Washington Office Report
- This is further recommendations to give up on the permit, reduce
Law Enforcement Officer staff, and to bascially treat the Rainbow
Gathering as a proper use of the National Forest by it's citizens.
- Information Office Overview
- A rundown from the Forest Service (dis)Information Office about
their plans for the gathering.
- Operations (Resources) Final Packet
- This is the Forest Service's operating plan for the gathering.
- Rehabilitation Plan
- This is the cleanup plan, which among other things, asks to leave
- Temporary Flight Restriction Request
- This is a request by the Forest Service to the FAA to restrict
"look see" flights over the gathering by small, private planes.
- Law Enforcement Activities
- This is a summary of the arrests and citations from the
- Safety Assessment
- This is a rather positive report by the Safety Officer and goes on to say
"The cooperation from the Rainbow Family was really remarkable dealing
with public safety issues, parking, medical support, water and
- Medical Unit Summary Report
- This is the summary from the medical units (local hospitals and
the triage unit).
- This is the logistical plan, interesting if you like lots of lists
of supplies. Interestingly, they note that the Family's radio systems
was better then the Forest Service's!
- Financial Section Synopsis
- This is the financial plan for the Forest Service.
- Planning Section
- More planning documents.
For general information about the Rainbow Family and regional events,
please first look around the web site. You can find most info you'd
want by going back to the top
level and searching again. Good spots to start are the Calendar of regional
Events, or the Hotlines.
If that doesn't work, email our newsgroup at email@example.com
Bugs in this web page can go to me at