Digests (was Re: I thought this was about gatherings)

Rob Savoye (rob@cygnus.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:19:37 -0700 (MST)

From: X989@aol.com
Subject: Re: I thought this was about gatherings

> so rob-i'm getting the e-mail version--i'm not totally sure what red is
> saying but it sounds interesting enough --would i still be able to delete
> threads i'm not interested in reading? or because it's one post must i still
> page thru them? also would i be able to seperate out posts to reply to them
> or to put them into my pfc? how about a little rap on digests for us ignorant

Well, it's actually easier to delete all the spam mail in regular email.
A digiest is basically a single message with about 10-15 messages contained
inside. There is no additional filtering done on the messages, so a digest
would contain exactly the same stuff you get on AGR. Each digest lists the
subject of the messages as a short index near the top.

The main problem is that they're really better for moderated newsgroups,
cause rather than just deleting the spam from your mailbox unread, you have
to page over it in the message. I guess it'd be possible to add a spam filter
in before the digest is built, but I'm incomfortable with doing and
filtering based on content.

Also with a digest, it's harder to reply to a given address, unless you have
a snazzy email reader that lets you break the digest into indivgual mesasages,
defeating the purpose of the digest...

I'll try to see if I can set it up, and with majordomo, folks could turn
on or off the digest feature themselves and experiment.

- rob -

Back to the Top Level: