Re: I thought this was about gatherings

Randall,Holly-SEA (RANDH@perkinscoie.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 97 10:29:00 PST

(Rodeo Red) writes:

>Paul J. Lucas wrote:
>> And, in the meantime, the signal-to-noise ratio is so bad that
>> it drives some listeners out because they simply don't have time
>> to wade through the off-topic stuff to find the on-topic stuff.

<snip>
> Why *should* you take it upon yourself to foist what *you* find
> interesting upon others? By posting off-topic items here, you
> are not respecting people's choices.

Not necessarily, Paul. As I have said before, I *appreciate* having the
many miscellaneous topics brought up for discussion on this group. I don't
mind just ignoring posts in which I have no interest or skimming over those
for which I have no time. At least I am given this choice.

> If rainbow folk are interested in electro accupuncture, then
> they are free to *choose* to read the *other* newsgroup where
> it is discussed. If they *choose* not to read the other
> newsgroup, then that's a clear indication that tey are *not*
> interested in the subject, so you posting it here is of no good
> use.

Au contraire - I am *not* free to read the other newsgroups. My access to
the net is limited as is my time to read or to participate in other
newsgroups, therefore, I am happy to be given the opportunity to learn of
issues and theories and items of news, etc. I might not otherwise get to
hear about. That, plus the websites shared with this group.

> Analogy: I *choose* not to watch the 6 o'clock news. Suppose
> you come along and decide that you have some compelling urge to
> tell rainbows about the top stories on the 6 o'clock news.
> (Exactly *why* you have that urge, or the urge to tell about
> electro accupuncture to rainbows, isn't clear.) So you post
> synopses of the top stories. Guess what? It's (a) a waste of
> time, (b) annoying, and (c) disrespectful of my choice. If I
> wanted to hear about the news, I would simply watch it
> *myself*. I don't need you to spoon-feed me.

Analogy: I have a television set. It has many channels on the dial - all
bringing into my home different stations and programs. I can sit there and
watch all of them during my free time or I can pick the one I wish to watch.
I have the choice to choose the station. I have the choice to turn off the
tv or to change the channel if what I am watching no longer interests me.
On agr, I have the choice to decide which posts I will read, skim, delete,
answer or whatever.

>>I'm starting to feel like I'm not welcome here and I'm very carefull to
>>never go where I'm not welcome.

> I'm not responsible for you drawing an incorrect conclusion.
> The correct conclusion is the off-topic *posts* are not welcome
> in any newsgroup. That says nothing about the *people*.

To whom is that the *correct* conclusion? First of all, no one has agreed
as to what is off-topic. And I say that so-called off-topic posts are
welcome to me. My opinion counts.

<snip>

> I freely admit that I am new to this newsgroup. However, my
> information is dead accurate for Usenet in general.

Perhaps your information is dead accurate for Usenet in general but that is
not to say it is dead accurate for Rainbow chat. And chat we do.

>>One of the best things about this newsgroup is that it is one of the few
>which
>>is not limited to one topic. That means you can really get to know PEOPLE
>and
>>not just one topic or another.

> That's what private e-mail is for.

That's your opinion, Paul. It is not mine. With private e-mail only there
are many fine folks here I would not have got to know, attitudes and
thoughts I might not have been exposed to, poetry I might have missed and
some wonderful and zany senses of humor which would have been overlooked .

> But that model simply doesn't mesh with Usenet. Sorry.

I don't care about Usenet - I'm here for the Rainbow experience. Thank you.

> - Paul

Love you, bro'

Spring

Back to the Top Level: