Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Earthfile=3A_Toxic_ills=92_genetic_roots_?=

Karl-Heinz Jackson (kaha@coinet.com)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:24:23 -0800

Sky wrote:

> Earthfile: Toxic ills’ genetic roots
> Homing in on complex gene-environment interactions
>
> A new government project is aimed at finding genetic variations that make
> people susceptible to reactions from environmental triggers such as
> pollution and food additives. The findings will help doctors develop
> therapies that target the responsible genes, preventing illness in
> vulnerable people and curing the sick.
>
> IMAGINE THE DAY when we’ll know exactly which components of air pollution
> make some people sick, or which of thousands of chemicals we have to be
> especially vigilant about keeping out of our drinking water.
<snip>

Er... I might me just totally short-sighted here (like when I blew
it with the "wheel" discussion), but: are we talking about
gene-engineering people to be healthy and happy in a poisoned
envireonment? 'Cos if we *are*, I seriously need to pack my
genetically inferior body into my trusty old van and make a run down
to my favorite spot on the Crooked River to watch the otters play.
(which is usually a good idea anyway) :-)

--
             .       .

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Linux: Guerilla UNIX Development "Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to the Top Level: