Re: the sad truth - "WOLF!"

Netherlass (rcantre@cris.com)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:30:01 -0700

rickeeee@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> The following is an excerpt from an article in the October 9th SUN:
>
> The people who want to reintroduce [wolves] to the Olympics are
> largely urbanites. They represent the majority, wealthy cityfolk who
> venture to the Olympia Peninsula for recreation. They understand
> politics and power and they know how to get things done.
>
> They don't particularly care what the locals think; or if they do,
> ignore them in the name of what they believe is a greater good.
>
> The closer you get to Olympic National Park, the louder the
> opposition to reintroduction.
>
> That's been the case in most of the other areas where wolves have
> been reintroduced...[In Yellowstone a] survey found that 91 percent
> [of locals] were against reintroduction. By contrast, 82 percent of the
> visitors to Yellowstone favored bringing wolves back there.
>
> [Pete Story, Yellowstone homesteader whose family has lived there
> since the 1860s] says that environmentalists...will support wolf
> reintroductions in the Olympics ``until a wolf eats one of their kids.
> A wolf is a predator, a dangerous carnivore. To think that wolves will
> leave people alone is stupid and naive.''
>
> The people who would keep wolves from the Olympics may understand
> politics and power, but they don't have the numbers or the money to
> win the game. And they live where they do because they abhor both the
> game
> and its players.

I spend a lot of my time in the woods of Washington State. I have
2 grandkids. I remember mostly old European tales of blood thirsty
wolves attacking and eating people/kids. Anyone know if wolves
continue doing that? I have never seen any wolves, yet, but I can
appreciate them as another God created/therefore-blessed creature.
I have 3 dogs, maybe that's why I don't see them. I thought that
they were shy to humans and steered more clear away than coyotes.

--
Netherlass  .-~~.     _     .~~-.

Email Address mailto:rcantre@cris.com Web Page: http://www.concentric.net/~rcantre

Back to the Top Level: