[Fwd: Re: A NASA-insider's announcement of Cassini launch]

Glenn Battin (cfhh@gte.net)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:51:47 -0700

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:30:19 -0700
From: Glenn Battin <cfhh@gte.net>
To: Andy Robert Steinberg <dracula@thecia.net>
Subject: Re: A NASA-insider's announcement of Cassini launch

Andy Robert Steinberg wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Life as we know it WILL end when our Sun goes out, and probably a long time before then.

I agree completely.
<SNIP>

> Terror? I've known religious people who are always afraid of a veangeful God,

I know some too! How warped.

> and Atheists
> who take comfort in their belief that there is no hereafter.

Not really germaine to this discussion but ...I don't really believe
that there
are any true atheists. Many who claim to be but seem mostly filled
w/angst
and feel a need to declare their unbelief. However, I recognize that
many folks do not believe in another exixtence after this one.

> I doubt that the human race
> will still be around in 5 billion years. How do you know that not everybody would get >to go?
> Either with giant advanced starships, a mentally evolved astrally-projecting humanity,
> or recharging the Sun's hydrogen fuel, there is hope.

How many billions would Earths population then? We are around 6 BILLION
now.
I agree there is hope. However I do not believe that the hope lies in
moving billions
of people light years away.
<SNIP>

> Trust blindly in something you've never seen, like the short-term attitude of those >who overfish the oceans
> and cut down the forests,

Blind trust in the creator of all things (Spirit) is vastly different
than short term attitude of those who destroy/exploit the ecosystems for
greed.

> or try to do something constructive about it, like those protesters and
> astronauts who bravely risk their lives to stand up for what they feel is right.

I believe that eco protestors are brave and not self consumed.
Astonauts are brave also but I feel differently about their bravery. I
am not
convinced that their motives are related to the salvation of mankind
rather
than the thrill of exploring the unknown. They are certainly
experiencing a
different thrill than those that put their lives/freedom @ risk for an
obvious
cause. Eco protest has an immediate sustainable payback if successful.
Benefitting everyone here, now and the future.

> "God helps those
> who help themselves."

BTW this popular notion is not scriptural. Not that it matters but I
don't
believe it I don't think many suffering 3rd worlders or holocaust
victims
felt that way.

I do beleive that God does and has helped those who call on God. Not
every time
by our mortal logic ... but many times. I can attest to this personally
for practical needs; food shelter clothing as well as seeing radical
healing
from cancer (non-hodgkins lymphoma, family member).

Anyway, If NASA spent their $$$ on undersea research, education,
protecting
Earths natural resources. Perhaps developing a method to extract
duterium (H3)
from the oceans I would beleive that the $$$ was much better spent.

<SNIP>

Riiiight. Like it was hubris to belive the Earth was spherical, that
humans would never fly (41
> test pilots died trying to break the sound barrier), that trains would never go more than 25mph,
> that we shouldn't go into Space since we need air to breathe, that AIDS is God's will. Give me a break!

I do not personally believe any of these statements. Please do not
infer that I do.
I recognize that OTHER foolish people do/have believed this. How
ignorant.
<SNIP>

> Destroying the Space program will not put food in childrens' mouths. You are >oversimplfying the
> problem. There is more than enough water, food, and energy on Earth for all of us,
> but because
> of human politics and greed it is not being evenly distributed.

More than half of our tax dollars support the military machine.
Talk about politics.... The Cassini project cost more than the USA gains
in
revenue annually for the timber harvested on public land!

Are you familiar w/ Freeman Dyson? He believes that big $$$ spent on
projects
like Hubble telescope which yield little science would be better spent
on
smaller $$ costing projects which would yield greater amount of science
and
which woud provide access to a greater number of scientists.

Big $$ projects are politically hotter than small $$ projects.
NASA IMHO is one of our biggest sucking black holes. Better to redirect
to $$ to research & DEVELOPMENT of our planets resources.

I agree that a political problem must be overcome to fairly
care for all earths' citizens.

Thanks for the dialog.
Glenn

Back to the Top Level: