Re: L.A. Times Report on California Commercial Space efforts

WSpaceport@aol.com
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:51:24 -0400

TO: Ellen Thomas - Proposition One Committee
From: Jim Spellman - NSS/Western Spaceport Chapter

<< Would you mind rebutting his points so those of us who are ignorant can
become <<less so? And, what's the news on Cassini?

I can, but I thought it'll be more appropriate to post an independant "third
party" commentary -- primarily because it's so good.

[IMPORTANT Note: Vandenberg DID have *two* Atlas ICBMs on nuclear alert
during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 -- but that has been the only time
nuclear weapons have been on the base; All ICBM tests from Vandenberg use
"dummy" MIRVs (Multiple Independently-targeted Re-entry Vehicles) -- the
*real* ones are taken off the missile before being shipped to Vandenberg,
where the vehicle is modified with a safety explosive charge and other
telemetry monitoring items].

Subj: Recent L.A. Times Report on California Commercial Space Effort