Re: Love, etc (Repost)

legeia (legeia@coredcs.com)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 06:02:59 -0500

Butterfly Bill wrote:

> (I posted this last Monday (Sep. 30), now it's Sunday eve, and I still
> don't see it on Netscape. One person replied to it (Kriss), but maybe it
> got lost on a siding somewhere on the way to some other people.
>
> It was about why men get violent.)
>

> What goes thru other men's heads? I can try to answer that a little from
> having watched and acted in movies among my acquaintances, and knowing
> what they have gone thru having to grow up a male.
>
> If Daddy beat Mommy, he most probably
> hit you kids too. I'll teach that little brat a lesson he ain't gonna
> forget. Fast forward to - united we will teach those Serbs (niggers,
> etc.) a lesson they won't forget.
>
> Now what's the cure for domestic violence? If we really find that, I
> dare say we will have also found the cure for war. Until then, for
> starters, I would recommend to any dude to try doing a shift of
> shanti-sena while wearing a dress. (It can be done, I have) To begin
> with, you won't want to go doing dumb shit that gets that thing messed
> up, and that makes you slightly change your style.

Great post, Butterfly Bill. I'm glad you reposted - been moving and too
busy to do much email.

Your post gave me some deep perspective on the violence issue. A lot of it
starts in childhood and is just given social sanction throughout
adolescence and adulthood. Seems like the violent male who indulges in
aggression is living an unexamined life based on fear and competition.

I think your suggestion of men wearing dresses is a good one. I wonder how
much anti-woman sentiment exists because most men are trained from early on
to suppress their feminine side. It's loosened up a bit as far as men being
allowed to show tender feelings, but in the clothes department, it's still
really segregated and unbalanced. It's acceptable for women to wear all
kinds of men's garb, but men aren't supposed to wear women's clothes. Any
insights on this?

On a tangent - do you think sports is a useful outlet for aggression?
Seems like there's some kind of a male bonding thing that happens in
connection with sports - like it's a 'safe' thing for guys to talk about to
each other. Do you think sports siphons off some of that aggressive
energy, or does it perpetuate aggression?

Just a mini brain buzz ;-).

Legeia

Back to the Top Level: