Re: Czech law against nomadic lifestyle

Andy Robert Steinberg (dracula@thecia.net)
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 23:23:55 -0400

Very interesting article. In Romania the Szgany (Gypsies) lead a wandering/caravan
lifestyle and are still despised by most mainstream Romanians to this day. The Szgan
feel the same way about the mainstreamers. I don't know if there was/is any law against
the Szgan lifestyle in that country.

Marcus L. Endicott wrote:

> From: "Marcus L. Endicott" <mendicott@igc.apc.org>
>
> >Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:05:05 -0500 (CDT)
> >From: Peter Durcansky <dudlo@poboxes.com>
>
> >RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 1, No. 130, Part II, 2 October 1997
> >
> > A selection from the RFE/RL Newsline
> > --------------------------------------
>
> >KLAUS FAVORS ABOLITION OF LAW BANNING NOMADIC LIFESTYLE.
> >Prime Minister Vaclav Klaus told CTK on 1. October he favors a
> >Communist Party proposal to repeal a 1958 law banning people
> >from leading a nomadic way of life. The law, when passed was
> >aimed primarily at the country's Roma population to ensure that
> >they could no longer travel about the country in caravans. He
> >says this is the first time the government had unconditionally
> >agreed with a proposal from the Communists. Meanwhile, a member
> >of the Canadian Council for Immigration and Refugees is in the
> >Czech Republic on a two week fact-finding mission on the
> >situation of Roma.

> >The above is a selection from the RFE/RL NEWSLINE, and the
> >articles within are copyright of RFE/RL. On-line issues are
> >available at http://www.rferl.org/newsline Articles are
> >selected if they contain information pertaining to the Czech or
> >the Slovak republic. The selection process is done by a program
> >and is thus highly error-prone. If you would like to receive
> >this selection via e-mail, send a request to dudlo@poboxes.com.

Back to the Top Level: